New Riders Course:

What is the H-D Riding Academy New Rider Course?

It is a course designed to enable non-riders and riders who need a refresher course to experience motorcycling while learning basic strategies and skills that lead to the safe, responsible, and enjoyable operation of a motorcycle.  The New Rider Course is approx. 20+ HOURS containing classroom instruction, hands on riding, and dealership activities.

When do you offer the New Rider Course?

We have courses running throughout the riding season beginning in April through October.  Typical schedule is Thursday night classroom sessions and Saturday and Sunday riding on the range.  You can view current course schedules, openings and self-register HERE.  Additional classed are being added all the time.

How much does the course cost?

$350 which includes: All Classroom Material, Riding Range, Harley-Davidson Street 500 Motorcycle to Train On, MSF Written Test, MSF Riding Test, Illinois State Riding Test, and Certified Instructors.

Who are the instructors?

Our instructors are experienced motorcyclists who ride on a regular basis and are CERTIFIED through the State of Illinois, The Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF), and Harley-Davidson.

What will you need for Class?

  • Be 18 years of age at the time of class
  • M-Class Learners Permit (additional information available at DMV / ilsos.gov)
  • Your valid IL Driver’s License
  • A DOT approved Motorcycle helmet
  • Protective Eye Wear
  • Leather Full Finger Gloves
  • Long-Sleeved Shirt or Jacket
  • Over-the-Ankle Boots
  • Jeans or Motorcycling Pants

What motorcycle will I ride during the course?

The Harley-Davidson Street 500, a 494 CC, lightweight, agile motorcycle with a low center of gravity well suited to the sort of riding involved in the New Rider Course.

Will I receive my motorcycle license once I have completed the course?

Once the class has been successfully completed the graduates will receive a Motorcycle Safety Foundation completion card.  We will then invite you to attend an Illinois Secretary of State testing session at one of our dealerships.  You will take your state test on one of the H-D Street 500s; you have completed your course on.  When you pass the state test you may then go to your local DMV to get your new “M” class license. 

Who should I contact for additional information?

You can contact us at Riding_Academy@windycityhd.com